Daviess County

Winston Missouri Incorporation

A communication was received from Winston by the writer in answer to information asked for, stating that the town of Winston was incorporated in 1875, with a board of trustees composed of the following gentlemen: D. M. Clagett, Joseph Swike, T. J. Jefferies, Henry Koons, and A.J. Kemberling. As the year and some of the names differ from the act of incorporation, the above has been given. The following is of record and seems to have been after the regular act of incorporation, and is dated on August 21, 1877. “Now at this day comes A. J. Kemberling et al, …

Winston Missouri Incorporation Read More »

Washington Township, Daviess County, Missouri

Washington township is in the north range and the second from the eastern line of the county. It is six miles square, the size of a congressional township. The general nature of the country is high and rolling, the bottom lands on the Big Muddy and Hickory creeks being of unsurpassed fertility, while the uplands and prairies are composed of a rich sandy loam, with a clay sub-soil, not, however, impervious to water. The timber supply is composed of some of the finest grown in Northern Missouri, and covers nearly if not quite one-half of the township. The trees are …

Washington Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Washington Missouri Officers

The township, as before stated, was not organized until 1870, and with the exception of justices of the peace and constable, there is no record prior to the year 1872 of township officers. That year the spring election resulted in the choice of the following officers: 1872-N. E. Reed, supervisor; George Yaple, clerk; F. M. McCoy, assessor; Martin G. Scott, collector; Gideon Smith, constable; Peter A. Dowell and Alfred Prindle, justices of the peace. The next year some few changes were made, and the ticket elected was composed of the following named persons: William Adams, supervisor; Samuel Dowell, clerk; Peter …

Washington Missouri Officers Read More »

Town of Jameson Missouri

In June, 1871, the St. Louis, Chillicothe & Omaha Railroad had been completed as far as where the present town of Jameson is situated. A surveying party from Chillicothe surveyed the town and completed the work on Saturday, June 12, 1871. It is situated on a beautiful eminence, with a magnificent agricultural country surrounding it, consisting of both prairie and woodland with industrious farmers in possession. The town company appointed Benjamin G. Kimball as agent, and they commenced on the following Monday to dispose of town-lots at about $100 per lot. The ground upon which Jameson stands was originally entered …

Town of Jameson Missouri Read More »

Towns of Jackson Missouri

Jackson township can boast of two villages, not of very great proportions but like all rising towns they believe immensely in their future. They are both on the line of the St. Louis & Omaha Railroad, some five miles apart and of course a great convenience to the farmers and stock-raisers in that vicinity. Lock Springs, situated in the southwest corner of the township, and the county as well, claims a solid population, on a fair count, of fifty. It is a railroad station with a depot building and has the following business houses: Francis M. Burris, druggist Litton & …

Towns of Jackson Missouri Read More »

Jameson Missouri Township Law and Officials

There had been several changes in the township law, made by the legislature, and for a while they came so often that it was hard to keep track of the procession. The first list of township officers of record, was the election of July 2, 1872, when the following township officers were elected: Supervisor, William Earl Clerk, E. D. Powell Assessor, Charles M. Gray Collector, John A. Martin Constable, R. P. Fuller Justices of the Peace, Henry Ward and James K. Heath There were 223 registered votes in the township. The supervisor law still held for the spring election of …

Jameson Missouri Township Law and Officials Read More »

Jameson Town Officials and 1881 Business Directory

Town Officials Officials for 1878 George P. Allen, chairman; A. O. Siple, clerk; William Gillespie, Joseph Long and Henry C. Dusky, trustees; J. F. Hamaker, treasurer; William M. Briggs, attorney; H. B. Hubbard, marshal. Officials for 1879 George P. Allen, chairman; D. C. Threlkeld, clerk; J. H. Stucker, J. D. Feurt and J. H. Albros, trustees; J. W. Long, treasurer and collector; T. A. Gaines, attorney; J. H. Miller, marshal. Officials for 1880 Joseph D. Feurt, chairman; David C. Threlkeld, clerk; J. H. Stucker, Thomas Ingraham and Henry C. Dusky, trustees; C. C. Curvin, treasurer; Thomas A. Gaines, attorney; E. …

Jameson Town Officials and 1881 Business Directory Read More »

Societies of Winston Missouri

This order has a fine lodge numbering fifty-one members, and is known as Winston Lodge No. 371. It was organized in the spring of 1877 with twelve charter members, as follows: F. B. H. Brown, William Leeper, Henry Koons, John Kalbfleisch, John T. Shaw, Joseph Swike, M. J. Benson, George W. Zentz, James T. Matchett, B. M. Bickel, W. P. Castor, and William S. Mallory. The charter is dated March 5, 1877. The names of the first officers of Winston Odd Fellows Lodge, are F. B. H. Brown, N. G.; Joseph Swike, V. G.; John T. Shaw, Sec’y; M. J. …

Societies of Winston Missouri Read More »

Stories of Grand River Missouri

A Chapter Of Accidents One of the saddest cases that happened in this township was the suicide of Mrs. Price, wife of Cyrus Price. She had been complaining for some days and had a deep feeling of despondency, but none thought of such a thing as the violent taking of her own life. She dressed her children and sent them to a neighbor’s house, then went to the woods and climbing up a leaning tree, adjusted the rope to a limb and then tied the other about her neck and jumped off. It was believed from the neck being broken …

Stories of Grand River Missouri Read More »

Sheridan Missouri History

Sheridan is bounded on the north by Liberty, and on the east by Monroe township. On the south it joins the Caldwell county line, and on the west Colfax township. In area of territory it is a congressional township, and is designated as township fifty-eight north, of range twenty-eight west. It has twenty-one thousand seven hundred and thirty-seven and eighty-one one-hundredths acres of land, nearly one half of which is timber, and the remainder prairie. Sheridan township in the last ten years has advanced but a trifle in population, in fact losing, when the natural increase is considered. The population …

Sheridan Missouri History Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top