James M. Carlock, farmer and stock-raiser of Morgan Township, was born in Dade County, Mo., October 25, 1848, and is the son of Lemual L. and Angeline (Davidson) Carlock. Lemuel L. Carlock was born in Tennessee, in 1821, and is now living in Greene County, Mo. He came to Dade County, Mo., in about 1842, and was among the first settlers, and has followed agricultural pursuits the principal part of his life. He is now living with his second wife, Angeline (Davidson) Carlock, who was born in Tennessee, March 13, 1825, and who still survives. They are the parents of eleven children, four sons and seven daughters, all living. The father had one daughter by his first wife, and she is living in Polk County, Mo. James M. Carlock is the second child in order of birth, born to his parents. He remained at home until the latter part of the war, when he enlisted September 13, 1864, in Company D, Fifteenth Regiment Missouri Calvary Volunteers, and was discharged from service June 30, 1865, at Springfield, Mo. He was at Sedalia at the time of Marmaduke’s raid in Missouri. On June 6, 1869, Mr. Carlock married Miss Mary Tarrant, who was born in Dade County, Mo., November 11, 1853. She is a sister of William Tarrant, whose sketch appears in another part of this volume. To Mr. and Mrs. Carlock have been born two children: Harry L. and Virgil. After marriage Mr. Carlock located on a farm ten miles east of Greenfield, where he resided until 1879, and then moved to his present property, which consists of 160 acres of land, and about all under cultivation. He has a fine farm, a splendid orchard, and is one of the industrious farmers and highly respected citizens of the county. He and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church; and his is a Democrat in his political views. His paternal grandfather’s name was Isaac Carlock.