Franklin Carlock, the youngest of four sons and seven daughters, was educated at the common county schools, reared on a farm, and at the age of twenty-three married Susan, daughter of James and Barbara Wheeler, of Tennessee, who came to Dade Count about 1837 or 1838, where they died. Mrs. Carlock died in Dade County in April 1887, leaving seven sons and one daughter. In October, 1887, Mr. Carlock married Mrs. Sarah Starr, daughter of Charles O’Kelly, an early settler of Southwest Missouri, where Mrs. Carlock was born, and where her father is still living with his third wife at the age of seventy-nine. Our subject lived in Polk township and farmed till 1881, when he came to Everton and built the first dwelling, the Everton House, of which he was proprietor till 1884, when he purchased his present residence, the Ozark House, the finest in town. In 1884 he erected a business house, and has since been engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. In politics he is a Republican, formerly a Whig. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, his wife being a Methodist. Mrs. Carlock has one son living, by her first husband.