Marion township was first organized in 1869. The first officers were: William E. Black, clerk; Harvey Reynolds, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector; John Haver, supervisor; David E. Henderson, trustee; S. S. Ryan and John W. Ambrose, justices of the peace.

The first official meetings of the board of trustees were held at the residence of William E. Black.

Township Officers

Since its organization the township has had the following officers during the years named:

1870 Havey Reynolds, supervisor; William E. Black, clerk; Harvey Reynolds, assessor; Thomas Pruitt, collector; Peter Nance, constable; S. S. Ryan and John Ambrose, justices of the peace.

1873 John D. Grantham, supervisor; William J. Black, clerk; Samuel Reynolds, collector; H. N. Reynolds, assessor; Samuel T. Ryan and John W: Ambrose, justices; Peter H. Nance, constable.

1874 D. C. Henderson, trustee; W. J. Black, clerk; H. N. Reynolds, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector

1875-Isaac J. Henderson, trustee; W. J. Black, clerk; H. N. Reynolds, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector; L. Schwyhert, constable; Philip Shaw and John W. Ambrose, justices.

1876-Isaac J. Henderson, trustee; W. J. Black, clerk; H. N. Reynolds, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector; L. Schwyhert, constable; Philip Schwypert, justice.

1877-Isaac J. Henderson, trustee; William J, Black, clerk; H. S. Rulon, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector; Theodore Stephenson, constable; Philip Shaw and B. F. Hetrick, justices.

1881-Isaac J. Henderson, trustee; Daniel Gentis, collector; Edward Smith, clerk; Philip Shaw and B. F. Hetrick, justices.

Township Taxes

The following statement of taxes collected in this township in the year 1875 may be found of interest for the purpose of reference and comparison:
State tax $ 1,201.79
County tax 1,73 7.60
Railroad tax 1,069.47
Township tax 300.55
School tax 1,389.30
Making a grand total of $5,69S.71

The assessed valuation of the real property of the township in 1877 was $224,690; of the personal property, $94,117, making a total of $318,807.

Schools

Marion township contains eleven school-houses, more than are contained in any other township in the county. The house, in District, No. 4 was burned December 22,1874. It cost $750 and was insured for $500. School was in progress at the time, and the books of the scholars were all lost.

Back to: Daviess County