Lincoln township was first organized in 1870, and was taken from the territory of Grand River, being one of the three original townships in the county -and the largest of the three. The municipal boundaries have been described on a previous page. It was not until what was called the new township organization law was passed, that township officers were elected, outside of’. constable and justices of the peace. That law passed the General Assembly in the winter of 1871-72, and township officers were elected the spring following. The law was repealed in 1877-78, and reenacted in the session held in the years 1880-81, and is, therefore, now in force.

The officers under the law were as follows:

1872 Nathan Nichols, supervisor; Ralph Woodward, clerk; William Baldwin, assessor; Joseph Wood, collector; James Moss, constable; Royal Mitchell and William Cole, justices of the peace.

1873 Nathan Nichols, supervisor; Ralph Woodward, clerk; Joseph. Wood, collector; Martin L. Bear, assessor; James M. Moss, constable; William R. Cole and Henry E. Gibson, justices.

1874 Nathan Nichols, trustee; Ralph Woodward, clerk; Martin L. Bear, assessor; Joseph Wood, collector; R. J. Mitchell, justice.

1875 Nathan Nichols, trustee; Ralph Woodward, clerk; F. M. Madden, assessor; James M. Smith, collector; Timothy G. Scott, constable; R. J: Mitchell and Joseph Wood, justices. The latter resigned, and J. F. Mitchell was appointed to take his place.

1876 Nathan Nichols, trustee; Peter Bear, clerk; James M. Moss, assessor; M. G. Netherton, collector; John T. Mitchell, justice.

1877 Gerard E. Graves, trustee; J. H. Herndon, clerk; James M. Moss, assessor; M. G. Netherton, collector; Timothy G. Scott, constable; R. J. Mitchell and John T. Mitchell, justices of the peace.

1881 M. G. Netherton, justice; John Markey, clerk; Solomon Wiles, collector; Timothy G. Scott, constable; H. E. Gibson and G. E. Graves, justices of the peace.

The population of Lincoln township in 1870 was 736. The census of 1880 shows a population of 846.

The assessed valuation of Lincoln township in 1870 was $221,002.
In 1877 real estate was valued at $156,020
In 1877 personal property was valued at 78,988
Total valuation $235,008

Back to: Daviess County