The officials elect to take charge of the civil business of Grant township in 1872 were as follows: Robert C. Williams, supervisor; Isaiah Jones, clerk; Eli Kehler, assessor; W. R. P. Allen, collector; John W. Warren, constable; Frank Callison and David Rhea, justices of the peace.
The first official meetings of the town board were held in Franklin Callison’s storehouse. The officers elected in 1873 were R. C. Williams, supervisor; J. N. Jones, clerk; Michael Murray, collector; Charles M. Hutchison, assessor; Nathan Gillilan and Frank Callison, justices; John W. Warren, constable.
On November 24th, 1873, Nathan Gillilan elected justice of the peace, resigned, and Robert Y. Miller was appointed to fill out his unexpired term.
In November of 1872, on the 7th of the month, the name “Grant” was changed to “Jamesport,” and the township retains the latter name.
1874 Michael Murray, trustee; J. W. Miller, clerk; N. G. Cruzen, assessor; C. M. Hutchison, collector and constable; Franklin Callison and R. Y. Miller, justices.
1875 J. H. Jones, trustee; J. W. Miller, clerk; N. G. Cruzen, assessor; C. M. Hutchison, collector; S. T. Haynes, constable; Frank Callison and David Rhea, justices.
1876 I. M. Jones, trustee; H. Bunker, clerk; E. C. McClung, assessor; C. M. Hutchison, collector; S. T. Haynes, constable; Frank Callison and Robert C. Williams, justices.
1877 W. C. Callison, trustee; C. M. Hutchison, collector; N. G. Cruzen, assessor; W. J. Gillilan, constable; W. J. Lamkin, clerk; Franklin Callison and Robert C. Williams, justices.
This was the last election of a full set of township officers until the spring of 1881. The law was changed in the former year and again changed last year. In the year 1877 there was, also, given the valuation of property by townships, the only year since 1876. The assessor’s returns gave the valuation of both personal property and real estate, and the footings gave the following figures:
Real estate $175,388
Personal property 126,616
There will be a township assessment of 1881 returned in January next, and from that return, comparison with the above will show the increased valuation of property for the past four years.
The last election for township officers took place April 5, 1881, and the returns comprise the annexed list of officers: A. P. Shour, trustee and treasurer; N. G. Cruzen, clerk and assessor; William Allen, constable and collector; Franklin Callison and John Martin, justices.
They will hold their offices until the election of 1882, and their successors are elected and qualified.
Back to: Daviess County