This church first came into existence December 24, 1857. It was that day organized under the direction of Rev. W. D. Mahan. The number was small, but faith made up what was otherwise lacking, and it has grown and prospered. The first members of the church were, S. T. Hill, Mary R. Hill,. Henry W. Lisle, Robert Hannah, S. Ann Hannah, James J. Minor, Ruth Minor, Jane Davis, and John H. Pugh. Henry W. Lisle and Skelton T. Hill were church elders at the time of the organization. The church gained in number and influence steadily under the pastorate of the Rev. W. D. Mahan, who continued in charge until the month of June, 1865, when he was succeeded by the Rev. J. Willis French, who remained with the church for two years, closing his labors in June, 1867. The Rev. Alfred T. Cooper was then called and he remained its teacher until 1875. That year the services of the Rev. Samuel A. Burkhart were secured and he was followed successively by the ministers here given in the order named: Rev. Thomas Montgomery, Rev. J. M. Ragan, Rev. W. S. Davis, and the present incumbent, the Rev. J. H. Tharp.
They have a pleasant place of worship, a church of their own, erected in the year 1858, at a cost of $1,200. It was dedicated to the service of the Lord the same year, by the Rev. James Dysart. The church has been fairly prosperous, and has a membership at this time of fifty.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Sunday-school is in a flourishing condition. numbering seventy scholars and has seven teachers. Great interest is taken in this department, and from its teachings new members are reared in the church. The first superintendent was T. J. Crain, who took charge at its organization and placed it upon an enduring basis. Mr. Kehler Wirtz is the present efficient superintendent.
This is one of the strongest church organizations in Daviess county, both in number and influence, and is also one of the oldest. The church in Gallatin was organized in June, 1843, there being forty-one original members. The church organization did not erect a church until 1866, when a fine frame edifice was constructed at a cost of $4,000. It was dedicated the following winter by elders Benjamin Lockhart and George Flint. The church prospered under the charge of the following pastors until 1875. The first pastor was Rev. Benjamin Lockhart in 1868 and 1869; Rev. G. R. Hand in 1870; Rev. W. H. Williams for the years 1871 and 1872; Rev. J. Carroll Stark, 1872 and 1873; Rev. Peter Vogle 1874; and Rev. Peter Shick 1875. In 1S71, at a meeting of the members, Andrew Shriver, John Ballinger, Joseph H. McGee, William M. Bostaph and William M. Powell were chosen elders. They served until 1875, when they all resigned, which left the church without elders until ‘1878, with the exception of one, Andrew Shriver.
At the reorganization, Andrew Shriver, John Whitt and W. S. Holland were chosen elders, but the two last moving from Gallatin, left only Mr. Shrives.
The church remained without choosing new elders until 1878, when W. C. Gilmore, Joshua W. Alexander and Benjamin K. Sailor were selected, and are still acting as such. The present deacons of the church are John B. Williams, Samuel A. Richardson and James Chapman.
The church has always been progressive, is now in a flourishing condition, and has a membership of 145.
The church again secured the assistance of a pastor in the Rev. R. M. Messick, in 1878, who continued his ministry during the year 1879. In the following year, 1880, Rev. J. M. Henry was called to the pastorate and remained one year. The church, at this time, the fall of 1881, is without a minister. The church had been for a long series of years in debt, almost since its first organization, but in January. 1877, the last dollar was met, and the church rose from the gloom and emerged into the broad sunlight free from debt. It was a day of rejoicing to the members.
The Christian Church in Gallatin has a large and thriving Sunday-school, numbering on its roll 128 scholars, of which there is an average regular attendance of seventy-six. The school was organized in September, 1867, and the Rev. W. H. Williams was chosen superintendent. Under his fostering care, and that of his assistant, W. M. Bostaph, the school grew and flourished. The next pastor, the Rev. J. Carroll Stark was the next superintendent, Mr. Bostaph still retaining his position as assistant. In 1873 Mr. Bostaph was chosen superintendent, and W. C. Gillihan and John Ballinger were his assistants. In 1879 John Ballinger was called to take charge as superintendent, and served two years with W. M. Bostaph as assistant. In January, 1881, W. C. Gillihan was chosen superintendent for the present. year, and John B. Williams as assistant. The work of teaching the rising youth is being conducted with zeal, and the school is in a successful condition.
First Presbyterian Church
Those of this denomination who were residents of Gallatin in 1871, gathered together and decided upon effecting a church organization, which they accomplished April 29, 1871. There were eleven persons who joined and were the original members. Their names were Alexander W. Callahan, Elizabeth Callahan, Hannah Babcock, Susan McDonald, Carrie Lindsay, Hattie Brundige, Lydia Brundige, Rachel Robertson, William A. McDowell, Emma McDougal, Susan R. Brown. They have a church edifice, a neat frame building.
The names of the pastors who have officiated are Rev. William Kendrick, Rev. John Gallespi, Rev. Wilson Asdale, and fourth, the present incumbent, the Rev. George E. McKinley. It has a present membership of thirty.
They have a flourishing Sunday-school connected with the church, which is well attended, with an excellent corps of teachers. The scholars numbering fifty, and the teachers seven. The future is bright for both church and school.
Kenney Chapel Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church of Gallatin was constituted and organized on the first Saturday in May, A. D. 1855, by Elders R. C. Hill and Franklin Graves, who composed the ministerial council. Elder R. C. Hill was chosen to act as moderator, and the constitutional sermon was preached by Elder Franklin Graves, from the text, “Upon this rock will I build my church.” The church was then organized with the following named persons as members; to-wit, J. C. Kuykendall, Mary A. Kuykendall, Francis Kuykendall, Sue C. Kuykendall, Sallie Kuykendall, Strother S. Mitchell, Eliza Mitchell, Amanda Darnell, Lucy Estes, and William Waterland.
Brother Charles McIntosh and Sister Mclntosh were the first persons who joined the church after its organization.. Brother J. C. Kuykendall was the first clerk chosen by the church, and Elder R. C. Hill was the first pastor called to the care of the church. He continued as its pastor until the regular meeting of the church on the third Saturday in August, A. D. 1857, when Elder B. F. Kenney was called to and accepted the pastoral care of the church, and continued as its pastor until the regular church meeting in
February, A: D. 1861, when Elder T. R. Ferguson was called to take charge.
At an adjourned meeting of the church, held on the 22d day of March, A. D. 1861, several members were appointed a building committee, to take into consideration the propriety of building a house of worship, and to see what amount could be raised by subscription for said purpose. The foregoing committee never reported, for the reason that no more meetings were held by the church, owing to the troubles arising from the war. No minister was allowed to preach the gospel without taking the “iron clad ” oath, which many of the ministers refused to do, and for a time quit preaching, although, while others, God-fearing, zealous men, continued to preach without taking said oath, although subject to arrest and imprisonment for so doing. Among the number who so acted was one of the old pastors of this church, Elder B. F. Kenney, who was arrested by the sheriff, William F. Flint, of Daviess county, and compelled to pass at least one night in the county jail.
On Saturday, November 18th, 1870, Elders B. F. Kenney and P. McCollum met the scattered members of the first organization, and after a sermon by Elder McCollum, proceeded to organize with the following named brothers and sisters; to-wit, Abel Covington, Joshua F. Hicklin, J. H. Herndon, Caroline Herndon, Mildred Covington, Mary Owings, Jane L. Weidman, Mary Emmons, Rebecca Ewing, Mary E. Smoot and Bettie Seatz.
Brother J. F. Hicklin was chosen clerk, and Brothers Abel Covington J. H. Herndon and Joshua F. Hicklin were chosen trustees to hold such property as the church may now have or hereafter attain.
From the above date until the third Saturday in October, 1872, Elders B. F. Kenney and P. McCollum acted as pastors of the church, at which meeting Elders T. M. S. Kenney and J. M. Haycraft were called and accepted as pastors.
On the third Saturday in May, 1872, the following named brethren were appointed a building committee, to arrange for building a house of worship and to obtain subscriptions for the erection of the same; to-wit, Hadley Brown, J. H. Herndon, B. F. Cox, J. M. Haycraft and W. W. Stout.
In the fall of 1873 they commenced work by having the foundation laid, and it was, also, decided to have the church built of brick. In the summer and fall of 1871 the walls were put up and covered, the floor laid, etc., but it was not until 1877 that the church was fully completed. It was dedicated Sunday night, May 16, 1881, by Elder W. Pope Yeaman. His text on the occasion was from Phillipians, chapter II, 16: ” Holding forth the word of life.” It was an eloquent discourse, and listened to with earnest attention.
The house cost about $2,500. Elder T. M. S. Kenney continued to act as pastor until January 22, 1874. Elder T. Montgomery was called and accepted the pastorate, and continued in charge until the third Sunday in February, 1875, when the church again called Elder T. M. S. Kenney for one year. On the second Sunday in February, 1877, Elder R. Livingston was called and accepted, and continued to conduct services until March 24;1879, when the church called Elder S. J. Graves, who only remained until June of the same year. On the Saturday before the second Sunday in January, 1880, Elder G. A. Crouch was called and accepted the charge, and is still. at this date, December, 1881, acting as pastor.
On the 7th day of August, 1885, the name of the church was changed from the First Baptist Church of Gallatin to “Kenney Chapel Baptist Church.” This church is connected with the “West Fork Association.” The present number of members is eighty.
Methodist Episcopal Church South
This is the oldest established church in the county, and was first organized in 1832, but the records are lost up to 1839. There has been nothing found of the early history of this church, and it probably had no real organization. As early as 1832 and 1833 this may have been included in a circuit. There was neither church or school-house in the county before 1835, and there was no regular preaching before that time. Service was held at the houses of the settlers up to the year mentioned, and in many parts of the county a year or two later. The date 1832 was probably the date of the first service held. The first preaching by any denomination in the county was held at the-cabin of Hardin Stone, by the Rev. Thomas Ellington, about 1833; also, by the Rev. J. Barker, who preached in 1835. Both of these gentlemen were Methodists. The names of the original members are not known. The first regular pastor was the Rev. Abraham Millice, who preached in the years. 1839 and 1840.
The church edifice was erected in 1859, a frame building, costing about $1,500, and was dedicated the same year by the Rev. E. K. Miller.
The ministers who have been connected with this church are here given: Reverends Abraham Millice in 1839-’40, John Y. Porter in 1840-’41, Menoa Richardson, Edwin Roberts, James L. Porter, William T. Ellington,. Alexander Best, A. Spencer, J. B. Callaway, James McMahan, Robert C. Hatton, William Warren, W. E. Dockery, Thomas D. Clanton in 1854, D.. H. Root, M. R. James in 1857-’59, William Citron, Isaac Nailor, William C. Colett, S. J. Catlin, F. J. Huffaker, Samuel Alexander in 1863, Joseph Devlin, J. F. Shoree in 1864, C. Babcock, Cyrus Doggett, J. B: Jewell, H.. P. Bond, J. A. Montgomery, and John A. Beagles.
The present membership numbers 150, and the church at the present time is in rather a normal condition. There is a very flourishing Sunday-school connected with the church,. under the able superintendency of S. L. Brosins, whose efficient management and earnest work is worthy of all praise. The school numbers one-hundred and forty scholars and has eleven teachers. It was first organized in 1843, and Judge John D. Coulson, one of Gallatin’s most honored citizens, was its first superintendent.
This church was organized on the 6th day of May, 1876. The meeting was held at the court-house, and quite a large number of members and pastors from other churches were present. The Rev. O. A. Thomas, of Richmond, preached an impressive sermon, and the partaking of the “Lord’s Supper ” closed the exercises. The Rev. B. Turner, of Hannibal, preached to a large audience in the evening. The church is not now in existence, the number of members not being sufficient to keep up a church organization with regular service.
African Methodist Episcopal Church
This church was organized in 1877 by the Rev. J. R. Lovings, whose care of the church in its early days did much to place it upon a firm foundation and to give it a flourishing existence. The original members were George Rollins, Jere Nelson, George Sailes, Jacob Peniston, David Roland, Ellen Rollins, Harriet Peniston and Susan Mitchell.
They have built themselves a very neat and commodious church building at a cost of $1,000. It is frame and comfortably furnished, and was erected in the first year of its organization. The pastors who have had charge since the organization are Rev. J. R. Lovings, Rev. J. Watson, Rev. S. Love and Rev. J. Martin. The present pastor is the Rev. M. S. Bryant, and the church is steadily growing in number of members and in good work. It now has members to the number of sixty-eight, with every prospect of enlarging.
Back to: Daviess County