Author: Dennis Partridge

Biography of William Henry Totterdale

Mr. Totterdale was a native of England, born in Somersetshire, May 21, 1848. When ten years old he came with his parents to America and settled in Columbia County, Wisconsin, where they lived six years, then moved to Waukesha, the same state. Here young Totterdale learned the carpenter trade and became a skilled workman. In 1867 he came to Maryville, where he spent the rest of his life. Mr. Totterdale was twice married, the first time to Susan Blend, May 18, 1870; she was also of English birth, and came with her parents to America. Her death occurred in 1880. On June 17, 1885. Mr. Totterdale was married, at Moberly, Missouri, to Frances Rebecca Hess, who, with two daughters, Carrie and Anna Belle, survives.

Read More

Biography of Glenn Beal Roseberry

Mr. Roseberry is a native of Maryville, Missouri, having been born on July 14, 1874, the son of Mathew G. and Phoebe E. (Beal) Roseberry, the father a native of Columbus, Adams County, Illinois. Mr. Roseberry was married on October 2, 1895, to Laura A. Frank. Her death occurred on December 31, 1899. This union was without issue. On July 14. 1901, Mr. Roseberry married Eva P. Frank, niece of his first wife, and the daughter of W. C. Frank.

Read More

Biography of Judge Hugh H. McClurg

Judge Hugh H. McClurg, residing in Union Township, was born in Morgan County, Illinois, March 24, 1859. His father was Thomas L. McClurg, who died in November, 1909, who lived on the old home farm, which he settled in 1868; his widow is still living in Maryville, at No. 204 South Walnut street. Hugh H. McClurg remained at home with his parents until of age. On March 16, 1872, when twenty-three years old, he married Ida E. Rickard, daughter of Ezra and Mary (Colvin) Rickard, who lived just south of Pickering and who came to this county from Indiana.

Read More

Biography of Judge William H. Chambers

Among the well-known citizens of Nodaway county whose work will long exert an ameliorating influence upon his locality is Judge William H. Chambers, of Union township, for his career is that of a man who, while advancing his own interests, has been vigilant of the progress of others. He was born in Coles County, Illinois, May 30, 1849. He was reared in Fulton County, that state. He is the son of John A. and Elizabeth Ann (Ellis) Chambers, the father a native of Kentucky and the mother of Indiana.

Read More

Biography of Benjamin Franklin Duncan

Benjamin F. Duncan was born in Shelby County, Kentucky, on April 29, 1842, and is a son of Daniel Boone and Eleanor (Cook) Duncan. His paternal grandparents were William and Martha (Jennings) Duncan, of Garrard County, Kentucky, where the former was a successful farmer. His wife was a daughter of Gen. William Jennings, a prominent officer in the American army during the war of the Revolution.

Read More

Biography of James Byron Robinson

James B. Robinson was born in Maryville, Missouri, November 24, 1864, the son of Theodore L. and Rebecca J. (Ray) Robinson. Owing to the prominence of the father in Nodaway county for a period of over fifty years, his life record will be given in detail in the following paragraphs.

Read More

Winston Missouri Incorporation

A communication was received from Winston by the writer in answer to information asked for, stating that the town of Winston was incorporated in 1875, with a board of trustees composed of the following gentlemen: D. M. Clagett, Joseph Swike, T. J. Jefferies, Henry Koons, and A.J. Kemberling. As the year and some of the names differ from the act of incorporation, the above has been given. The following is of record and seems to have been after the regular act of incorporation, and is dated on August 21, 1877. “Now at this day comes A. J. Kemberling et al, and present their petition, praying the court to incorporate the town of Winston. The court, after examining the same, find the metes and bounds of said town are not given in said petition, therefore the prayer of said petitioners is hereby rejected.” On November 23d, 1876, the following act of incorporation of the town of Winston was passed by the County Court of Daviess county, and as the act repeats a petition of a number of prominent citizens the names of whom are here given. The act of incorporation is as follows:— ” Now at this day comes T. J. Jefferies and twenty-four other citizens of the town of Winston, Daviess county, Missouri, and present a petition praying for the incorporation of the town of Winston, which petition is...

Read More

Washington Missouri Officers

The township, as before stated, was not organized until 1870, and with the exception of justices of the peace and constable, there is no record prior to the year 1872 of township officers. That year the spring election resulted in the choice of the following officers: 1872-N. E. Reed, supervisor; George Yaple, clerk; F. M. McCoy, assessor; Martin G. Scott, collector; Gideon Smith, constable; Peter A. Dowell and Alfred Prindle, justices of the peace. The next year some few changes were made, and the ticket elected was composed of the following named persons: William Adams, supervisor; Samuel Dowell, clerk; Peter C. Dowell, collector; Isaac Goodwin, assessor; E. B. Barker and Peter A. Dowell, justices, and Gideon Smith, constable. 1874–N. E. Reed, trustee; S. H. Dowell, clerk; I. N. Goodwin, assessor; J. H. Knott, collector; Peter A. Dowell and L. M. Thompson, justices. 1875-N. E. Reed, trustee; S. H. Dowell, clerk; Martin G. Scott, assessor; J. H. Knott, collector; Gideon Smith, constable; Peter A. Dowell and L. M. Thompson, justices. 1876 same as 1875. 1877-N. E. Reed, trustee; S. H. Dowell, clerk; Henry Pomfret, assessor; J. H. Knott, collector; Gideon Smith, constable; Peter A. Dowell and L. M. Thompson, justices. The law electing township officers was repealed in 1877. The last law, passed by the General Assembly of the winter of 1880-81, resulted once more in giving the townships the...

Read More

Washington Township, Daviess County, Missouri

Washington township is in the north range and the second from the eastern line of the county. It is six miles square, the size of a congressional township. The general nature of the country is high and rolling, the bottom lands on the Big Muddy and Hickory creeks being of unsurpassed fertility, while the uplands and prairies are composed of a rich sandy loam, with a clay sub-soil, not, however, impervious to water. The timber supply is composed of some of the finest grown in Northern Missouri, and covers nearly if not quite one-half of the township. The trees are large, the oak predominating, with elm, hickory, hard and soft maple, walnut, etc., which will become a source of great wealth to the township if properly husbanded. Washington township is bounded on the north by Harrison county, on the east by Lincoln township, on the south by Grand River and west by Salem township. It is watered on the west and north by Hickory and Big Muddy creeks, and on the southeast by a large branch of the Big Muddy. Besides these there are an innumerable number of springs all over the township. The township has been exclusively settled by farmers and stock-raisers, there being no town or village within its borders. Washington township has not been noted for its rapid growth, having settled slowly, the majority of the...

Read More

Town of Jameson Missouri

In June, 1871, the St. Louis, Chillicothe & Omaha Railroad had been completed as far as where the present town of Jameson is situated. A surveying party from Chillicothe surveyed the town and completed the work on Saturday, June 12, 1871. It is situated on a beautiful eminence, with a magnificent agricultural country surrounding it, consisting of both prairie and woodland with industrious farmers in possession. The town company appointed Benjamin G. Kimball as agent, and they commenced on the following Monday to dispose of town-lots at about $100 per lot. The ground upon which Jameson stands was originally entered by Charles Cravens, October 2, 1854, and a year later the portion joining it by Ark Briggs. The land is known as the east half of the southeast quarter of section thirteen, township sixty of range twenty-eight. At the time of the location of the town, the land was the property of Henry Briggs. His residence, built for a farm house, and where he now lives, was erected in 1868. At the time the survey of the town was completed, the railroad depot was about finished and the stockyards fully so. A public square was laid out with an area of between two and three acres af land, and located just south of the residence of Mr. Briggs. The first building erected was by Herbert D. White, a small...

Read More

Subscribe to Missouri Genealogy via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Missouri Genealogy by County

Recent Comments

Recent Tweets