Ex-Judge Orlando H. Barker, a prominent farmer and a successful breeder of Jersey cattle in Lockwood Township, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1843, and is the son of Daniel B. and Rebecca (McCoy) Barker, both natives of Ohio, the former born in Delaware County, in 1818, and the latter in Franklin County, in 1824. After marriage the parents settled in Delaware County, where Mr. Barker died about 1850. He was a woolen manufacturer. Mrs. Barker married the second time, and died in Indiana in 1874, while visiting her sister. Her father, Robert McCoy, was born in North Ireland, and came to the United States when a young man. He was married in Pennsylvania, and was one of the early settlers of Franklin County, Ohio, where he spent the balance of his days. He was a farmer by occupation. The paternal grandfather, Orlando H. Barker, was born in Massachusetts, and, when a young man, learned the woolen manufacturer’s trade, after which he went to Pittsburg, Pa., and then to Ohio. In that State he was a teamster in an Indian expedition, and when the War of 1812 broke out he joined Gen. Harrison’s command, and served with him through that war. He afterward settled in Delaware County, Ohio, where he established a woolen manufactory, one of the first in the State, which he operated successfully until his death, which occurred about 1848. Great-grandfather Barker was of Scotch descent. He served through the Revolutionary War as a commissioned officer. Ex-Judge Orlando H. Barker was the eldest of four children, two sons and two daughters, only the subject of this sketch and Mary Delasmutt, of Ohio, now living. The brother, Robert M., died from exposure in the army. He was a sergeant. Orlando H. Barker attended five winters of public school, or until the war broke out. In April, 1861, he joined Company I, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as private, and afterwards held all the offices to first lieutenant, which position he held with credit until he received his discharge, in October, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio. He served about three years and four months, three years of this time in the Army of the Potomac, and was in all the leading engagements. He was wounded October 15, 1863, which disabled him for several months. In July of the same year he was placed on recruiting service, and spent the winter of 1864-65 in Ohio in that service. In March, 1865, he was made first lieutenant of Company C, One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Ohio Infantry, and again went to the front, where he was in active service until the close of the war. Afterward he spent one year in the Wesleyan University of Ohio, and, in the meantime, studied law, being admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Ohio in February, 1868. In June, 1867, he married Miss Alma, daughter of John E. Mills, Sr. Mr. Mills was born in Rockingham County, Va., and, when a boy, went to Ohio, where he married and lived until about 1880, when he came to Dade County, Mo., where he is now living. In early life he was a painter, but later, for many years, was a wealthy furniture manufacturer of Chillicothe, Ohio, where he lost two wives. To Mr. and Mrs. Barker were born six children, two sons and three daughters living. In 1868 Mr. Barker came to Greenfield, where he practiced law with success until after the panic of 1873, when he removed to Springfield, and there continued his practice until 1883. He then settled on a farm near Lockwood, where he has since been engaged in stock breeding and farming, and has a fine herd of Jerseys. He served as mayor of Greenfield in 1871 or 1872, and in 1873-74 was judge of the probate court of Dade County. He is a Republican in politics, was formerly a Greenbacker, and his first presidential vote was cast for Lincoln, in 1864. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., is also a member of Lockwood Post No.325, G. A. R., and the Encampment at Springfield. Mrs. Barker is a member of the Presbyterian Church.