Mitchell & Thornberg, general merchandise
Weldon & Hendricks, general merchandise
H. E. Gibson, hardware store
W. R. Hendricks, drugs, paints and oils
John Gordon, blacksmith
Samuel L. Turley, shoe shop
A. F. Hendricks, postmaster
C. H. Weldon, drugs
Gibson & Johnson, blacksmiths
Dr. D. B. Hill, spoken of in the early history of the township;
Dr. R. L. Green, of the eclectic school, who deservedly stands high
Dr. G. A. Lierlie, a young man of solid sense and attainments, reared in the township, and enjoys a good practice
The grangers have a fine hall over one of the dry goods stores, in the second story, handsomely finished and furnished. With two churches, a fine school, a stirring business place and neat residences, Bancroft presents the pleasing look of a thrifty and comfortable village.
Its property valuation in 1870, as returned by the assessor, was $3,625. It now far exceeds these figures, but of late years no separate assessment has been made.
Back to: Daviess County