Sheridan

Sheridan Missouri Stories

A Sad Accident The neighborhood near New Garden schoolhouse was considerably excited over the finding of the body of Jacob J. Spohn, an old man nearly sixty years of age. He was found drowned in Marrowbone Creek, on Tuesday, June 14, 1870. He had attended to his duties in the morning, and, after eating a light breakfast, took his fishing pole and started for Marrowbone Creek. Not returning to dinner, his family became somewhat alarmed and went in search of him. They found his body floating in the water about a foot below the surface, life apparently having been extinct …

Sheridan Missouri Stories Read More »

Sheridan Missouri History

Sheridan is bounded on the north by Liberty, and on the east by Monroe township. On the south it joins the Caldwell county line, and on the west Colfax township. In area of territory it is a congressional township, and is designated as township fifty-eight north, of range twenty-eight west. It has twenty-one thousand seven hundred and thirty-seven and eighty-one one-hundredths acres of land, nearly one half of which is timber, and the remainder prairie. Sheridan township in the last ten years has advanced but a trifle in population, in fact losing, when the natural increase is considered. The population …

Sheridan Missouri History Read More »

Sheridan Missouri Officers

The local municipal affairs of the township since its organization have been economically managed. There has been no charge. of peculation, and, so far as the township affairs are concerned, may be safely said to have been carried on prudently and successfully. The election for township officers in 1873 resulted as follows: George E. Barkdoll, supervisor; Miles Bristow, clerk; M. J. Benson, assessor; Charles L. McCrary, collector; Reason Castor, constable; Samuel Surface and John G. Black, justices of the peace. At the next election some changes were made, and the spring election resulted in the choice of the following named …

Sheridan Missouri Officers Read More »

Sheridan Township, Daviess County, Missouri Biographies

The following contains brief biographies of men from Sheridan Township, Missouri. You can search the entire listing using the search at the bottom of the page. Bacon, Irwin Bristow, Miles Caster, John J. Coulson, David H. Creason, Andrew J. Donaldson, Enoch S. M. Elgin, William Givens, Isaac Grantham, Robert H. Gueney, I. B. McCrary, Charles L. Neal, William Needham, Horatio E. Noah, George N. Rorabaugh, John White, Daniel Whiteaker, Aaron B.

Sheridan Township, Daviess County, Missouri

Sheridan township was first organized in 1869, and its territory was taken from the townships of Gallatin and Jefferson. It is a good township of land, though on some of the uplands the soil is light. On Marrowbone Creek, of which there are two branches on the eastern edge of Monroe township, the soil is of a rich black mould, very deep and extremely fertile. It has some fine timber, and in this the township has a source of considerable wealth, and as Marrowbone Creek waters the township on both the north and south, the timber is pretty evenly distributed …

Sheridan Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Sheridan Township Churches and Organizations

Christian Church The Prairie Ridge Christian Church was organized in the year 1867, by the Rev. W. H. Williams, of Gallatin, with ten members, their names being, Samuel Kindig and wife, Amos Faw and wife, Sarah Johnston, Leah Grove, Mrs. Clive Cole and Mrs. Olive Myers. The organization continued to grow in membership from year to year, and in 1878 they put up a church on section six in the northwestern corner of the township township, and it is the first and only church building in the township. Quite a number of its members live in Colfax and Liberty townships. …

Sheridan Township Churches and Organizations Read More »

Pioneers of Sheridan Missouri

Sheridan township was first settled in the year 1833, and the first settler was James McCreary, who drove his preemption stake in the southeast quarter of section thirteen. E. Mann was the next arrival and he came the same year, and soon after a few more whose names are forgotten. In 183’11 quite a number came in, among whom were Isaac Splawn, Benjamin Rowell, E. Kelso, Charles McGee, Nathan Marsh, Anthony Mullins, E. Hulett, and A. McMurtry. These old pioneers were the first that settled in the township, and they blazed the way for those who followed. It was these …

Pioneers of Sheridan Missouri Read More »

Firsts of Sheridan Township

The first marriage was that of John McCreary to Miss L. Splawn, in 1837. Besides those who came in 1834 and 1835, there came Ira Norris and J. Whittier, they settled in what is now District No. 2, where the first settlers located. In 1842 another marriage took place, that of Thomas Keis to Miss Hannah Carter, and was the first in the settlement where they resided. The first preacher was the Rev. James McMahan, and he held the first religions service at the residence of J. Lenhart. The next minister in the township was a Mormon. There were several …

Firsts of Sheridan Township Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top