Marion

Marion Missouri Organization

Marion township was first organized in 1869. The first officers were: William E. Black, clerk; Harvey Reynolds, assessor; Daniel Gentis, collector; John Haver, supervisor; David E. Henderson, trustee; S. S. Ryan and John W. Ambrose, justices of the peace. The first official meetings of the board of trustees were held at the residence of William E. Black. Township Officers Since its organization the township has had the following officers during the years named: 1870 Havey Reynolds, supervisor; William E. Black, clerk; Harvey Reynolds, assessor; Thomas Pruitt, collector; Peter Nance, constable; S. S. Ryan and John Ambrose, justices of the peace. …

Marion Missouri Organization Read More »

Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri Biographies

The following contains brief biographies of men from Marion Township, Missouri. You can search the entire listing using the search at the bottom of the page. Blankenship, Greenville Estes, J. B. Forth, George R. Henderson, Isaac J. Hightree, J. W. Dr. Leard, A. C. Rev. Martin, William C. McCulley, Isaac Nance, Charles R. Otterman, Elijah Palmer, Mason M. Powell, James L. Hon. Reno, C. Roper, John C. Ryan, S. S. Shaw, Philip Smith, William E. Stapp, H. T. Wilson, James V. Woodruff, A. E. Rev. Youtsey, David E.

Marion Missouri History

Grand River washes the border of this township for a considerable distance on the north and east, while Grindstone Creek, Little and Big Muddy, ‘Cottonwood, Big Run, and other streams flow through the township in a northerly direction, all emptying into Grand River. The territory now embraced in Marion was originally included in Grindstone township, .one of the original townships, which took its name from the stream of that ,name, on which were made some of the first settlements in the county. The township is about equally divided between timber and prairie, the timber skirting its entire eastern and northern …

Marion Missouri History Read More »

Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri

This township, with respect to the position of the other townships of the county, is bounded on the north by Benton and Grand River; on the east by Grand River; on the south by Jefferson, Liberty, and Union; on the west by DeKalb county. It lies principally in ranges twenty-eight and twenty-nine, in township sixty, and contains twenty-nine thousand two hundred and ninety-five and forty-one one-hundredths acres. In the spring of 1878 the township contained thirty-three thousand one hundred and thirty-five and forty-one one-hundredths acres, but six sections of 640 acres ,each were taken off of the northern part and. …

Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Marion Missouri Churches and Organizations

Methodist Episcopal Church The Methodist Episcopal Church of Civil Bend was organized early in 1865. The minister in charge at the time was Rev. David M. Heath. The number of original members was about fifteen. In 1868 a frame church 30×40 in size, was built, at a cost of about $1,500; it was dedicated in the fall of the same year by Rev. Mr. Heath, of St. Louis. A parsonage costing about $250 has also been erected. Since the building of the house of worship the church has continued to prosper, and the present membership is fifty-six. The present pastor …

Marion Missouri Churches and Organizations Read More »

Firsts of Marion Township

The first settlers in Marion township were David James and James Brown, who came in 1832. It is claimed that James Brown was the first actual settler in the township, coming in the fall of the year 1832. Thomas Pennington, Ebenezer Fields and a few others settled here in the spring of 1833. Asa Ross and Henry Vanover, both from Kentucky, came in 1838. Prior to the last named year there had settled in the township Rebecca Clevinger, David Groomer, Taylor McCulley, William Roper, and Elijah Frost. The majority of these settlers had come from Kentucky. The first settlements were …

Firsts of Marion Township Read More »

Civil Bend, Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri

The principal town in this township is the village of Civil Bend, which is located on section twenty-four township sixty, range twenty-nine. It was laid off in 1868 by Gilbert Canfield, who surveyed twenty-four lots and had them platted as the town of Civil Bend. In 1880 it contained seventy-eight inhabitants, which number it is believed has been increased until the population is now about one hundred. 1881 Business Directory As a county trading place the town transacts considerable business. The leading merchant of the place is Isaac J. Henderson, who carries a large and well-selected stock of general merchandise. …

Civil Bend, Marion Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top