Jamesport

Progress of Jamesport Missouri

The township is six miles square, with the exception of a small jog in the range line in township sixty-one, and has twenty-two thousand forty-six and thirty-three one hundreths acres of as beautiful and fruitful land as the sun ever shone upon. It is bounded on the north by Lincoln township, on the east by the Grundy county line, south by Jackson, and west by Grand River township. It is watered by the Little Muddy and its branches on the west, and Hickory Creek and a branch which empties in the East Fork of Grand River in Grundy county on …

Progress of Jamesport Missouri Read More »

Old Settlers of Jamesport Township

The first settler, as we have mentioned above, was Thomas N. Auberry, – who came from Ray county in 1834 and settled about two miles from where the town of Jamesport now stands. His place took the name of Auberry Grove. Mr. Auberry came from Kentucky and he located on section twenty-nine. His Eccentricity Thomas Auberry was an old pioneer of the genuine backwoods stripe. He was a sort of “Jack of all trades,” could turn his hand, and voice for that matter, to most anything. He was a preacher, doctor, farmer, horse-trader, horse-racer, surveyor, and could play cards so …

Old Settlers of Jamesport Township Read More »

Jamesport Missouri, Town on the Move

The town was beginning to assume considerable importance, and the citizens felt as though their dignity could be very materially advanced. and sustained if Jamesport was an incorporated town. They were out on the open prairie without metes or bounds, and they felt lonely standing in this ex-posed way. To remedy the evil and to effect a local habitation and a name, and to be anchored for all time in. the place of their adoption, they felt that nothing could achieve this object so well as corporation stakes driven here and there, and the town fastened to them by act …

Jamesport Missouri, Town on the Move Read More »

Jamesport Township

Jamesport township was not organized until 1870, and was then called Grant. The territory was taken from a portion of Grand River township, and also of Jackson, making the municipal township six miles square or a congressional township in extent of territory. As apart of Grand River township it was settled as early as 1834. Thomas N. Auberry was the first settler, and he was followed by many others. Additional Jamesport Township Resources Jamesport Township Old Settlers First of Jamesport Progress and Population Jamesport  Township Biographies Jamesport City Biographies City of Jamesport Jamesport Incorporation Jamesport Affairs Jamesport 1877-1880 Jamesport, Fourth …

Jamesport Township Read More »

Jamesport Missouri Officials 1872-1881

The officials elect to take charge of the civil business of Grant township in 1872 were as follows: Robert C. Williams, supervisor; Isaiah Jones, clerk; Eli Kehler, assessor; W. R. P. Allen, collector; John W. Warren, constable; Frank Callison and David Rhea, justices of the peace. The first official meetings of the town board were held in Franklin Callison’s storehouse. The officers elected in 1873 were R. C. Williams, supervisor; J. N. Jones, clerk; Michael Murray, collector; Charles M. Hutchison, assessor; Nathan Gillilan and Frank Callison, justices; John W. Warren, constable. On November 24th, 1873, Nathan Gillilan elected justice of …

Jamesport Missouri Officials 1872-1881 Read More »

Jamesport Missouri Lodges and Organizations

I. O. O. F. Jamesport Lodge No. 339 This lodge was organized in the spring of 1876, its charter bearing the date of May 19, of that year. The charter members were P. R. Dunn, W. F. Boyd, Scott T. Haynes, C. C. Gillilan, and W. A. Wynn. Its first officers elected were P. R. Dunn, N. G.; W. F. Boyd, V. G.; W. A. Wynn, S.; and S. T. Haynes, T. The present officers are I. C. Murray, V. G.; K. L. Isherwood, V. G.; G. R. Small, S.; C. A. Carman, P. S.; and J. T. Jones, T. …

Jamesport Missouri Lodges and Organizations Read More »

Jamesport Township, Daviess County, Missouri, Biographies

The following contains brief biographies of men from Jamesport Township, Missouri. You can search the entire listing using the search at the bottom of the page. Benjamine, Thomas J. Brown, A. T. Bunker, Horatio Buzzard, A. L. Buzzard, Samuel W. Callison, Franklin Callison, William G. Chenoweth, Joseph S. Clark, John W. Corman, Charles A. Cropper, S. Cruzen, Nathaniel G. Dickey, Jesse M. Dinsmore, John B. Gillilan, William J. Harrah, James C. Higdon, J. H. Holloway, Henry Hutchison, Charles M. Hutchison, George M. D. Isherwood, Richard L. C. Jones, I. H. Jones, James Thomas Jordin, J. F. Mann, Independence Martin, John …

Jamesport Township, Daviess County, Missouri, Biographies Read More »

Jamesport Missouri Fair and Cornet Band

Jamesport Cornet Band Music is God’s melody, and he who is gifted with a melodious voice, or has a talent that can draw sweet strains of harmony from instruments of music has, indeed, a glorious gift, and it is impossible for a people to be all bad that are capable of appreciating this gift divine, or freely support those who are gifted or inspired by nature, with the genius of true melody. It was the love of music that brought the Jamesport cornet band into existence, and it is at this time one of the best in this part of …

Jamesport Missouri Fair and Cornet Band Read More »

Jamesport Missouri Churches

Cumberland Presbyterian Church The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized September 2, 1871,. in the old Methodist Church, called “Ketron Chapel,” situated on section. twenty-five. This church is now used as a barn and a new Methodist church was erected on section thirty-one. Those conducting the services in the organization of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, were the Rev. William. M. Houstin and the Rev. William S. Davis. The original members were Robert B. Foster, George A. Poage, John Lockridge, William H. McClung, Simeon Hamlin; James Waugh, Jane Foster, Elizabeth Hamlin, B. M. Caraway, Ella R. Hill, Harriet Mickel, Nettie Miller, Virginia …

Jamesport Missouri Churches Read More »

Jamesport Missouri 1877-1880

It was this year, 1877, and on the eventful 8th day of March, that the great organ of civilization known as the press located one of its family at Jamesport, and the same was issued that day. As a local organ the Gazette was a success. Under the talented editorship of Joe X. Wright, it has for weeks, and months, and years, sounded the praises of Jamesport and the surrounding country until the people of that live, go-a-head town have been completely astounded at the immensity of their local opportunities, wealth, culture, and refinement, and have often let sleep pass …

Jamesport Missouri 1877-1880 Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top