Grand River

Stories of Grand River Missouri

A Chapter Of Accidents One of the saddest cases that happened in this township was the suicide of Mrs. Price, wife of Cyrus Price. She had been complaining for some days and had a deep feeling of despondency, but none thought of such a thing as the violent taking of her own life. She dressed her children and sent them to a neighbor’s house, then went to the woods and climbing up a leaning tree, adjusted the rope to a limb and then tied the other about her neck and jumped off. It was believed from the neck being broken …

Stories of Grand River Missouri Read More »

Other Portions of Grand River

The western, central and southwestern portions of the township were settled much more rapidly than the eastern portion, and the northeast. It was not until 1848 that the first school-house was put up in that part of the township. Then a log school-house was built on section eleven, township Sixty, range twenty-seven. The increase all over the township, excepting the eastern portion, had been quite steady from the year 1840, but the location of the county seat south of the river, which had been as good as settled that year by the refusal of the county judges to entertain the …

Other Portions of Grand River Read More »

Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri

Grand River township is one of the central townships in the county, being bounded on the north by Salem, and Washington; east, by Jamesport; south, by Union; and west by Grand River, which separates it from Marion, and a small portion of Benton township. In area it is the largest township in the county, covering 32,742.40 acres of land. It is very near equally divided between prairie and timber land. The bottom lands are of rich, dark mould, easy of cultivation, very prolific in yield, having all those growing qualities which are so characteristic of the whole Grand River Valley. …

Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Grand River Township Officers

The following names were reported as the first officers of Grand River; viz., Nelson Nichols, assessor; James Pritchard, collector; H. F. Wynn, clerk; B. G. Kimball, supervisor; T. F. Rogers and John A. Dunn, justices of the peace. 1872. B. G. Kimball, supervisor; Henry F. Wynn, clerk; Nelson Nichols assessor; James Feurt, collector; Erasmus Breeden, constable; Alexander Scott and T. F. Rogers, justices of the peace. 1873. B. G. Kimball, supervisor; David Threlkeld, clerk; James Pritchard, collector; C. A. Cravens, assessor; Alexander Scott and John Dunn, justices; George Hopkins, constable. 1874. B. G. Kimball, trustee; C. A. Cravens, assessor; D. …

Grand River Township Officers Read More »

Grand River Township Churches

Bethel Presbyterian Church In 1860 an organization was effected of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. It was effected April 28, and on section thirty-six, in the southeast corner of the township at what was known as the Goodbar schoolhouse. The pastor, under whose auspices the church was organized, was the Rev. J. W. French. The original members of the church were, Robert B. Foster, Elva B. Clark, John W. Nichols, Eli Sharrah, Jacob Sharrah, C. J. French, A. J. Clark, Huldah E. Irving, Mary E. Nichols, Jane Foster, Louisa Sharrah, Mary B. Foster, Charlotte Sharrah, E. C. Foster, Martha H. Nichols, …

Grand River Township Churches Read More »

Grand River Township History

On March 10th, 1870, the County Court organized the county into sixteen municipal townships, each six miles square, the county being twenty-four miles square. The township of Freedom being made-out of the east triangle of Marion and the west of Grand River, being township number sixty, of range twenty-eight. The Grand River cut this township into two parts, and running from northwest to southeast through its limits. This division, however, remained in that shape but a few months when Freedom township was blotted from the map, and the western portion, west of the Grand River, was added to Marion and …

Grand River Township History Read More »

Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri Biographies

The following contains brief biographies of men from Grand River Township, Missouri. You can search the entire listing using the search at the bottom of the page. Allen, George P.Baldwin, Jesse Briggs, Henry Brown, W. S. Dr. Caraway, Joseph Chamberlin, E. Cole, Charles O. Conner, Allen Doty, S. L. Feurt, Joseph D. Gosnell, Daniel Guthery, S. B. Harris, Frank M. Howell, Samuel T., M. D. Hubbard, E. Hon. Hunter, John M. Kemp, John H. Kimball, Benjamin G. McDonald, W. D. McLure, A. H. McNeill, William S. Miller, John M. Miller, Simon P. Nation, Wilburn K. Nickell, George K. Nickell, William N. …

Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri Biographies Read More »

The First Settlers of Grand River Missouri

The first known white settler of Grand River township was Solomon Tetherow and he came in the spring of 1831. It was believed that John Splawn built the first cabin within the limits of Daviess county and in Union township before he occupied what is known as Splawn’s Ridge, still while he may have done so, Mr. Tetherow was not long behind him. Solomon Tetherow settled on section thirty-three, very near the line of section twenty-eight, and for sometime it was not known whether the section line would run north or south of him. After the survey it was found …

The First Settlers of Grand River Missouri Read More »

Firsts of Grand River Township

The first death in the township was a child of George and Ellen Tetherow, who died in October of the year 1833. It was buried at the Bennington graveyard and was the third burial in it; two children of a Mr. Roberts were buried before. They came. from another township. The first child born in the township was Evans, son of William and Abbey Bowman, in 1836. The second birth was that of John L. Netherton, in 1836. In 1839, July 12, Rachel L. Grant, daughter of John and Mary Grant, was born; she was born in a cabin located …

Firsts of Grand River Township Read More »

Adam-On-Di-Amon, Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri

This historic place, now nearly obliterated by time, was situated about two miles south of Jameson upon a pleasant eminence bordering upon a rocky bluff with a surrounding of beautiful scenery and overlooking the turbid waters of Grand River. It was on this spot that the Mormon prophet, Smith, claimed that our forefather, Adam, was buried. The land was purchased from a man by the name of Arrington, and other lands from Roland, Coots, and others, and it was here that the Saints flocked as their promised Zion. There on this site they commenced to build a town, and they …

Adam-On-Di-Amon, Grand River Township, Daviess County, Missouri Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top