Churches

Churches of Washington Township

Pilot Grove Church This church was organized on the fourth Lord’s Day of February, 1856, and was named The Pilot Grove Church of Christ. At its organization the Rev. Martin Scott became pastor. The names of the original members are, A. J. Vinson, John McCoy, elders; John A. Brown, James Scott, Jesse McCoy, W. S. Brown, S. H. Hammond, deacons; Levi Cline, F. H. Troxel, James A. Garton, D. N. Terry, William Adams, and L G. Scott. The church was built in 1861, and is a plain, neat structure, with a substantial finish, and cost when completed $1,000. The church …

Churches of Washington Township Read More »

Churches of Winston, Missouri

There are two church organizations in the town of Winston; viz., the Methodist Episcopal and the Evangelical Association. The Methodist Episcopal Church This church was first organized in the year 1874 and was under the pastoral charge of the Rev. H. S. Barnes. The following year the congregation through the exertion of their pastor commenced the erection of a church edifice. The building was not completed that year, and in 1876, the Rev. Mr. Anderson succeeded Mr. Barnes as pastor of the church. The church was completed in 1876 and is a substantial frame building 30×46 feet in, size, with …

Churches of Winston, Missouri Read More »

Churches of Jackson Township

New Design Church This church was organized August 17, 1857, with thirteen original members, as follows: Nathaniel Huston, Nancy Minnick, Mary J. Minnick, Elizabeth A. Minnick, Fidelia Offield, Elizabeth Hicks, Margaret Welborn, Mary Brown, Mary Minniek, Rachel Huston, Elizabeth Raider, John Raider and Anna Raider. They built their church in March, 1870, at a cost of $700. It is a neat frame structure, plainly furnished. The ministers who have officiated since its organization are as follows, in the order named : Rev. S. Robert Speer, John W. French, D. Walker, J. W. French, A. F. Cooper, W. D. Doods, Robert …

Churches of Jackson Township Read More »

Churches of Jefferson Township

Union Church One of the oldest houses of worship in Daviess county is Union Church in Jefferson township. Erected in 1856, for many years it was the central, and about the only place of divine service in all that part of the country. Up to the commencement of the war, some three or four different denominations were there represented by respectable memberships. During the strife ministers ceased visiting the church, organizations became scattered, the house neglected, until now it is but a shadow of its former self: Near it is the cemetery, containing many of its founders whose names are …

Churches of Jefferson Township Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top