Churches

Salem Missouri Churches and Organizations

Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church This church was organized in the year 1857. The names of the organizing members cannot now be obtained, but the number was thirteen. The church building, a frame, was built in the year 1868, at a cost of $1,000. It has never been formally dedicated. Some of the pastors have been Revs, J. R. Hardin, J. B. Christie, James C. Poe, J. L. Netherton. The present membership is sixty-nine. The church is located on section nine, township fifty-one, range twenty-eight. Bethel Church (Methodist Church South) Bethel Church is one of the pioneer churches of Daviess county. …

Salem Missouri Churches and Organizations Read More »

Sheridan Township Churches and Organizations

Christian Church The Prairie Ridge Christian Church was organized in the year 1867, by the Rev. W. H. Williams, of Gallatin, with ten members, their names being, Samuel Kindig and wife, Amos Faw and wife, Sarah Johnston, Leah Grove, Mrs. Clive Cole and Mrs. Olive Myers. The organization continued to grow in membership from year to year, and in 1878 they put up a church on section six in the northwestern corner of the township township, and it is the first and only church building in the township. Quite a number of its members live in Colfax and Liberty townships. …

Sheridan Township Churches and Organizations Read More »

Pattonsburg Missouri Churches and Schools

Baptist Church The Missionary Baptist Church of Pattonsburg was organized February 2, 1881, and the original members were William G. Weldon, Louis Noble, E. H. Tillery, H. B. Tillery, F. R. Bullock, J. H. Weldon, N. G. Dillon, Rebecca Noble, Mary Shanks, D. E. Dillon, M. J. Weldon, Lucy M. Christie, Elizabeth Hardin, and Melvina Robbins. Another member has joined since and they have now in course of erection, and nearly completed a handsome frame structure thirty-six by fifty feet at a cost of $1,500. The Liberty Church near McFalls was erected in 1860 and is well sustained. The Free …

Pattonsburg Missouri Churches and Schools Read More »

Marion Missouri Churches and Organizations

Methodist Episcopal Church The Methodist Episcopal Church of Civil Bend was organized early in 1865. The minister in charge at the time was Rev. David M. Heath. The number of original members was about fifteen. In 1868 a frame church 30×40 in size, was built, at a cost of about $1,500; it was dedicated in the fall of the same year by Rev. Mr. Heath, of St. Louis. A parsonage costing about $250 has also been erected. Since the building of the house of worship the church has continued to prosper, and the present membership is fifty-six. The present pastor …

Marion Missouri Churches and Organizations Read More »

Lincoln Missouri Churches and Schools

Pilot Grove Church This is the oldest church in the township and one of the oldest in the county, and is of the Baptist denomination. It was originally organized in 1840, by Rev. William Mikels, its first pastor, and the original members were Joseph Everly and wife, John Mikels and wife, John J. Everly, Lucy Bear and Mrs. Sarah Mikels. The congregation built a log church in the summer of 1845, at a cost of about $100. The pastors were Revs. William Mikels, Elijah Morrill, John Smith, William Baldwin and Joseph Wood. The church grew and flourished until 1857, when …

Lincoln Missouri Churches and Schools Read More »

Jamesport Missouri Churches

Cumberland Presbyterian Church The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized September 2, 1871,. in the old Methodist Church, called “Ketron Chapel,” situated on section. twenty-five. This church is now used as a barn and a new Methodist church was erected on section thirty-one. Those conducting the services in the organization of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, were the Rev. William. M. Houstin and the Rev. William S. Davis. The original members were Robert B. Foster, George A. Poage, John Lockridge, William H. McClung, Simeon Hamlin; James Waugh, Jane Foster, Elizabeth Hamlin, B. M. Caraway, Ella R. Hill, Harriet Mickel, Nettie Miller, Virginia …

Jamesport Missouri Churches Read More »

Grand River Township Churches

Bethel Presbyterian Church In 1860 an organization was effected of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. It was effected April 28, and on section thirty-six, in the southeast corner of the township at what was known as the Goodbar schoolhouse. The pastor, under whose auspices the church was organized, was the Rev. J. W. French. The original members of the church were, Robert B. Foster, Elva B. Clark, John W. Nichols, Eli Sharrah, Jacob Sharrah, C. J. French, A. J. Clark, Huldah E. Irving, Mary E. Nichols, Jane Foster, Louisa Sharrah, Mary B. Foster, Charlotte Sharrah, E. C. Foster, Martha H. Nichols, …

Grand River Township Churches Read More »

Gallatin Missouri City Churches

Cumberland Presbyterian This church first came into existence December 24, 1857. It was that day organized under the direction of Rev. W. D. Mahan. The number was small, but faith made up what was otherwise lacking, and it has grown and prospered. The first members of the church were, S. T. Hill, Mary R. Hill,. Henry W. Lisle, Robert Hannah, S. Ann Hannah, James J. Minor, Ruth Minor, Jane Davis, and John H. Pugh. Henry W. Lisle and Skelton T. Hill were church elders at the time of the organization. The church gained in number and influence steadily under the …

Gallatin Missouri City Churches Read More »

The First Churches of Colfax Missouri

In this township, as in others, the first religious services were conducted at the cabins of the settlers first at one and then the other. The Rev. Jeremiah Lenhart was the first of those who preached the word of God in Colfax township. He was a hard-working, conscientious disciple of the Lord, who put his whole heart in the cause, and in the humble cabins of the pioneer, taught them of a better and nobler existence and pointed out to them that straight and narrow way that led to life eternal on the distant shore. In his own home, in …

The First Churches of Colfax Missouri Read More »

Churches of Liberty Township

Union Church This church was first organized in 1856 and is located on the east half of the northwest quarter of section seven. The church is a neat frame building put up the same year of the church organization, but not wholly finished until 1857. It was dedicated in July, 1857, and the dedication sermon was delivered by the Rev. George Flint. The first ministers of the Union Church were Rev. George Flint and Rev. Benjamin Wheeler. The church cost $900 and has a very pretty location, being surrounded by well improved farms. There is some talk of building a …

Churches of Liberty Township Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top